Thursday, July 8, 2010

Notes from the terrified!

NOT a small stretch of unpaved, narrow dirt road.....a mile of narrow unpaved dirt that was cliff side. Absolutely terrifying for someone with a fear of heights. Why do I set myself up for such emotional torment? Well, I love being frightened and I thrive on accomplishment......and Mandi is VERY persuasive! At one point, I was so overcome with fear that I started breathing rapidly and started to get light headed. "I can't make it", I whispered into the SCALA rider. "I have to turn around, I'm so sorry...." "Yes you can, Guss!" (my nick) "YOU CAN DO THIS!", Mandi said with confidence. "Just talk to me." And talk we did. All the way up and back down, Mandi warned me of oncoming traffic, letting me know when I could safely hug the inside of the road. Had we been unable to communicate, I surely would have had a panic attack and perished on the side of the mountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment